If it's not one emergency, it's another
While scratching my head over the problem, somebody nearby screamed, "Fire!" I looked up and saw smoke rising from two cubicles away. The fire extinguisher was mounted on the wall by me, so I grabbed it and ran over. I doused it easily with the extinguisher, relieved that the fire was still small, despite all the smoke. Luckily, the fire wasn't big enough to trigger the sprinkler system.
I made sure the fire was totally out and noticed it burned only a limited section, damaging part of the cubicle wall and desk. From what I could tell, it seemed to be an electrical fire within the cubicle partitions. Meanwhile, alarms were ringing and employees were evacuating.
The fire department found that the fire had knocked out the power to nearly all the cubicles. When the firefighters turned the tripped breaker back on, it started smoking in the cubicle again. They told us to keep the power off and have an electrician inspect the panel and circuits immediately.
Though I knew my actions hadn't caused the fire, their statement came as a relief. I thought to myself, "Good thing I wasn't the one who installed their electrical wiring; I had only pulled in their network cabling. Phew!"
As there was no power, I was unable to continue troubleshooting the check printing issue, so I told them to call me when the electricity returned.
They called me three days later. I asked them what the electrician had found. They'd been told the fire was caused by an overloaded circuit and the use of a (not allowed) space heater that wasn't plugged in correctly, causing an arc that then started the fire. Now, in addition to my work on the checks, I was asked to pull in new network cables to the affected cubicle.
Both tasks proceeded smoothly, and I eventually solved the check mystery. It turned out the check-signing unit had been installed inline with the printer, but it required an older printer driver to work properly. After another hour of trial and error, I found a printer driver that cooperated with the check-signing unit and the printer.
Having been a hardware repair tech in a previous life, I've seen smoke rising from computer equipment -- power supplies, CRTs, printers, and more -- but this was the first time the smoke gave way to flames. In IT, we talk about "putting out the fire." In this case, I literally did so for the company and metaphorically for the accounting department.
Send your own IT tale of managing IT, personal bloopers, supporting users, or dealing with bureaucratic nonsense to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we publish it, you'll receive a $50 American Express gift cheque.
This story, "The office is on fire -- get the IT guy!," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Read more crazy-but-true stories in the anonymous Off the Record blog at InfoWorld.com. For the latest business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.