From the rise of the cloud to the consumerization of IT to the increased emphasis on boutique IT service for business needs, indications are that IT is becoming more about stewardship than ownership, and the old way of running IT as a business is a train wreck waiting to happen. In other words, the next generation of IT is fast approaching, and it will require a shift in skills, strategies, and vision from the IT of just a few short years ago.
With flux comes opportunity. To help you capitalize, we've compiled a compendium of IT careers resources below. You'll find a wealth of insights on the kinds of skills and strategies to move your IT career forward or to help you venture down a new, more rewarding IT career path in the year ahead.
And for those aspiring to navigate next-generation IT, we invite you to subscribe to Bob Lewis's Advice Line newsletter, as Bob continues his commitment to lending high-level insights to forward-thinking IT pros.
InfoWorld's reading lists:
- 5 hot tech projects to boost your IT career
- The 6 hottest new jobs in IT
- The IT job outlook: 5 questions answered
- IT jobs: Winners and losers in the cloud era
- The IT jobs cloud computing will create
- Beware the mobile tech jobs bubble
- Is your IT job worth keeping?
- InfoWorld guide: Successful BYOD and mobile IT strategy
- InfoWorld guide: Mobile Device Management Deep Dive Report
- InfoWorld guide: Enterprise iPhone Deep Dive Report
- InfoWorld guide: Cloud Services Deep Dive Report
- InfoWorld guide: Cloud Computing Deep Dive Report
- InfoWorld guide: Private Cloud Deep Dive Report
- The tech jobs hiring boom is real -- for these skills
- Surprise! Certified IT jobs are paying less
- 9 hot IT skills for 2012
- 7 key skills new IT grads are lacking
- 5 surprising IT skills that hiring managers want now
- 10 hard truths IT must learn to accept
- Stewardship, not ownership: It's time for IT to give up on control
- IT turf wars: The most common feuds in tech
- IT inferno: The nine circles of IT hell
- 7 IT superheroes -- and their fatal flaws
- IT admins gone wild: 5 rogues to watch out for
- 7 dirty consultant tricks (and how to avoid them)
This story, "Your IT job prospects for 2012," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in IT careers at InfoWorld.com. For the latest business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.