Winners of this year's Codie awards, given by the Software & Information Industry Association (SIAA) Tuesday evening, include some familiar names in software as well as some lesser known and new companies.
Awards were to be given out at a ceremony in San Francisco with high-profile vendors like Red Hat, Adobe Systems, and Salesforce.com taking home prizes along with newer companies like SightSpeed. Contestants competed in various software and information categories.
"What I think is most gratifying is the Codie awards are a [great] leveler and smaller companies have as much chance to win as large companies," said Ken Wasch, SIAA president. In an industry that increasingly looks like it is dominated by a few larger players, the Codie award gives everyone a chance, he stressed
"It's a celebration of the breadth and depth of our industry," Wasch said.
Contestants were self-nominated in 72 categories and judged on the basis of usability and features. Winners were subject to three rounds of judging; they receive a trophy and the right to incorporate their victory in promotions.
Among the categories, winners, and products were:
* Asset management -- Express Metrix with its Express Software Manager
* Business intelligence or knowledge management -- Tableau Software, Tableau Desktop v3.0
* Business Productivity -- Jigsaw, Jigsaw.
* Collaboration solution -- Adobe, Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional
* Communication Solution -- SightSpeed, SightSpeed 6.0
* Content Management -- Clickability, Clickability On-Demand Web Content Management Platform
* Data Security -- Absolute Software, Computrace Complete
* Database management -- FileMaker, FileMaker Pro 9
* E-commerce -- NetSuite, NetSuite 2007.0
* Enterprise search engine -- Coveo, Coveo Enterprise Search 5.0
* Identity management -- Red Hat, Red Hat Directory Server
* Open source solution -- Red Hat, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
* On-demand platform - -Salesforce.com, Force.com
* Security solution -- Novell, Novell Identity and Security Management Portfolio
* SaaS solution -- Salesforce.com, Salesforce CRM
* Software development -- Infragistics, Infragistics NetAdvantage for .Net 2007.3
* Systems management -- Kace, Kbox Systems Management Appliance
* Web services solution -- Adobe, Adobe ColdFusion 8.
The full list of winners was to be posted at a Web page accessible here immediately following the event.