Caution! Professionals at work
"Been there, done that" is often a reader comment to a story about an embarrassing situation. Take, for instance, the case of the missing network card: "My network teammate looked at me. I looked at him. I looked at the floor. I knew I'd installed four network cards! I counted again, squinting harshly at my densely packed rack. I figured we were both getting old and must have just missed it. No such luck. My teammate patted me on the shoulder and said, 'Let me know when you find it.'"
More "professionals at work"
- "You're seeing a pink screen? I'm not. Hmmm..." An IT support staff member learns something about the pitfalls of remote troubleshooting.
- Users miss the darnedest things, and let's face it: Channeling the tech-challenged can be downright scary. The trick is to not take anything for granted.
When life gives you lemons ...
Sometimes the biggest IT challenge is learning how to cope with a, shall we say, less-than-ideal situation. During a massive datacenter migration, a techie is handed a problem Windows server that he tries to get rid of, but the managers insist is his problem: "[My attempts] backfired. The detailed migration plan was well received -- too well, as a matter of fact. It was heralded as a model that all other plans would be judged against. Great, I had met the enemy and it was me!"
More "when life gives you lemons"
- Getting yelled at -- and later apologized to -- by an irate exec can certainly make for a bad day and provide a valuable lesson in customer service.
- A region shutdown with monetary loss, an angry client, and a seemingly incriminating login trail seem to bode ill for the IT staffer. But don't discount how much "word of honor" is worth.
- Lots of talk, few skills? The new network administrator decides to show off his technical expertise, but it became very clear that his staff knew more than he did. Sometimes, there is justice.
- True IT confessions
- Crazy tech support stories
- The 7 dirtiest jobs in IT
- Even dirtier IT jobs: The muck stops here
- Stupid user tricks: Eleven IT horror stories
- More stupider user tricks: IT horror stories redux
- Stupid user tricks 3: IT admin follies
- Stupid user tricks 4: IT horror never ends
- Dirty vendor tricks
- The 2009 InfoWorld Geek IQ Test