In the early part of this decade, I was more or less still starting my IT career, making a name for myself. I was 19 and worked at a small local ISP/Service Center/Hosting/Whatever company. I was exhilarated about having a job and honing my skills.
The owner was notorious for being a heavy micro-manager. I never really understood why; it was just his personality I guess. For instance, you had to fill out forms every day to note how you spent every minute of the previous day, even bathroom breaks. One time I even got yelled at for not updating my Outlook calendar to show I was downstairs working in the lab; my boss claimed he "had no idea where I was!!" even though he had security/spy cameras in every room and the monitors were in his office. And aside from how he treated his employees, I soon learned that he also treated his customers unethically.
[ Do you have an IT tale when something went right, a war story, or a lesson learned? Submit it to InfoWorld's Off the Record. If we publish your story, we'll send you a $50 American Express gift card. | Think you know the Web? Take InfoWorld's quiz and find out ]
We had an elderly woman sign up to our dial-up service. She got online fine but had one complaint: She paid monthly identity theft insurance to a company, and the e-mails from the company were not coming through. Assuming it was just a legitimate e-mail and that it was probably just something set up incorrectly on her end, I was dispatched out there. I checked over her Outlook Express configuration and everything looked fine. I then noticed she had Norton Internet Security and figured that it was blocking the e-mails incorrectly, as this is a common occurrence. I disabled it and left, thinking I'd fixed the problem.
The next morning we got a call from her saying she was still getting nothing (apparently there was a daily newsletter from this company). So I thought about it and did some quick research on this company. From comments, reviews, and warnings about this site that supposedly just sold identity theft insurance, I found that they were an Internet scam. I then checked every spam blacklist that we used at the time. Sure enough, their domain appeared in every one of them. I thought, "Wow, I just cracked this case."