Hurricanes are very scary, indeed! But there are a few things you can do to help increase the odds of your data and gadgets surviving the onslaught of one of these terrible storms. Here are some tips to help you prepare for a hurricane.
1. Use the backup software that comes with your PC and store your backup disk in a safe place.
2. Alternatively, use an online backup service to store important data far away from your own home.
3. Email important documents to yourself or use Google Docs to store them safely. Google Docs will also let you access them from any computer.
4. Load all important contact information into your mobile phone.
5. Don't rely on portable, analog televisions. Buy a portable, digital television so you can keep up with the news.
6. Download weather apps to your mobile phone to help you keep up to date with weather conditions.
7. Have your land-line calls forwarded to your mobile phone.
8. Make sure your cell phone and other gadgets are fully charged before a hurricane hits.
9. Keep a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that will let you run your gadgets after the power goes out.
10. Store all cell phones and accessories in a sealed plastic bag that will protect them from water damage.
11. When the storm starts to hit, unplug all gadgets and move them away from the windows.
Hurricane tech tips to protect your electronics, digital data | Orlando Sentinel
This article is published as part of the IDG Contributor Network. Want to Join?