GParted lets you manage your hard disks and partitions. Version 0.17.0 has been released, here's how you can install it in Linux Mint 16.
1. Open a terminal window.
2. Type in the following commands then hit Enter after each.
wget -q -O – http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c ‘echo “deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu saucy-getdeb apps” >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list’
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted
Here's a list of changes from the GParted 0.17.0 release notes:
GParted 0.17.0 (2013-12-09)
This release of GParted adds the ability to perform online resizing
for systems that support this capability. Also included are bug
fixes and language translation updates.
### Key changes include:
* Add support for online resize
- requires patched version of libparted, kernel >= 3.6, and a config flag
- See README for more details
* Recognize Linux Swap Suspend and Software RAID partitions
* Fix busy detection for Linux Software RAID and extended partitions
* Fix systemctl runtime mask to prevent automounting partitions
* Add support for online resize (#694622)
* Fix usage of swap space is not reported (#708107)
* Turn on resize2fs progress bar (#709276)
* Fix systemctl runtime mask to prevent automounting partitions (#708378)
* Stop using deprecated method free_colors() (part of #652044)
* Stop using deprecated widget alignment enumerators (part of #652044)
* Recognize Linux Swap Suspend and Software RAID partitions (#709640)
- Prevent GParted starting stopped Linux Software RAID arrays
* Fix busy detection for Linux Software RAID and extended partitions (#712633)
* Make partition information dialog warnings selectable (#705596)
* Change default file system to ext4 with fall back to ext3/2 (#711114)
* Add an AppData file (#709164)
- Thanks to Piotr Drąg for making the AppData file translatable
Code enhancements are courtesy of Mike Fleetwood, Phillip Susi,
Richard Hughes, and Curtis Gedak.
cs(Marek Černocký), de(Christian Kirbach), fr(Claude Paroz),
it(Milo Casagrande), lv(Rūdolfs Mazurs), ml(Anish Sheela),
pl(Piotr Drąg), pt_BR(Rafael Ferreira), ro(Daniel Șerbănescu),
tr(Muhammet Kara), zh_HK(Chao-Hsiung Liao), zh_TW(Chao-Hsiung Liao)
* Optionally enable the capability to perform online resizes by
using configure flag --enable-online-resize if and only if you
have an "online-resize" patched version of libparted and Linuxkernel >= 3.6.
Additional resources for GParted
Read more: Linux G
This article is published as part of the IDG Contributor Network. Want to Join?