Well, it's been two years... I suppose I shouldn't be too upset, but I'm not taking this very well.
I'm currently rebuilding it, and it looks like I'll have 220GB in this one, vs 200GB in the last one I hacked. All things considered, that's a small consolation.
All is well again in TiVo land. This time I'm backing up the databases after reconfiguration. The backup I made in '02 was old code. The upgrade via 56k dialup took quite awhile. The whole rebuild took about 2 hours, and would have been significantly faster if I could have found the original backup image that I'd saved many moons ago. I wound up using dd on the original drive before I finally found that image. On the plus side, I was able to add swap space and the TiVo is faster now.