So after years of diligent service for several masters, my sister's iBook G3 800 finally died. It was quick and painful. I ordered her a new MacBook with a 100GB disk and 1GB of RAM, and it became the first x86 Mac I've used to date (I'm rather stodgy that way sometimes, and am waiting for the Merom upgrades to the Mac Book Pro line). Aesthetically, this MacBook is quite charming, and certainly fast. However, after booting it up past the initial setup, software update ran... and required 664.5MB in updates to be downloaded. This included were everything from a few small security fixes to the iLife updates, Java, and the 10.4.8 update (300MB all by itself).
Luckily, I have a 10Mb connection, and I routinely get 1.2MB/s from Apple, so the updates are flying down as I type this, but God help you if you're on dialup. That's just under 28 hours with a solid 56k connection.