Plus, much of the equipment had huge capacitors that were prone to explode, filling the facility with clouds of acrid smoke -- or so I was warned. Thoughts of being fried entered my head, especially when I was told that if something went wrong I was to stay in the metal cage until brought down.
Yeah, right. I did that job once, then bailed. I don't fight with electricity. It may be trickier to figure out stuff over the phone, but I don't have to worry about exploding equipment. Well, I guess there is the chance that a battery in one of the laptops cluttering my cubicle might explode.
- Stupid user tricks 4: IT horror never ends: Nine more real-world disasters courtesy of your network's weakest link.
- Stupid user tricks 3: IT admin follies: IT heroes toil away unsung in miserable conditions -- unsung, that is, until they make a colossally stupid mistake.
- True IT confessions: Supergeeks fess up to some of the dumbest things they've ever done -- and the lessons they learned as a result
- Even dirtier IT jobs: The muck stops here: More dirty tech deeds, done dirt cheap.
- The 7 dirtiest jobs in IT: Somebody's got to do them -- and hopefully that somebody isn't you.
- The 2009 InfoWorld Geek IQ Test: It has been said that geekdom cannot be strictly quantified. Here are 20 questions to prove that adage wrong.
- Dirty vendor tricks: From magical demos to deceptive pricing and fictional charges, here are the six most devious tricks vendors use to get their hands in your pocket.
- Tech's all-time top 25 flops: These pivotal moments are the history you don't want to repeat.
- Stupid hacker tricks: Looking to enter a life of cybercrime? Beware the boneheaded miscues of these infamous cyberschnooks.
- Stupid hacker tricks, part two: The folly of youth: Tech-savvy delinquents set the Net aflame with boneheaded exploits that earn them the wrong kind of fame.
- IT snake oil: Six tech cure-alls that went bunk: Legendary promises, little delivery -- IT history is fraught with "transformational" sales pitches that fell far short
- The 7 deadly sins of IT management: Beware these common IT transgressions before you inadvertently sabotage your company's tech agenda.
- 20 more IT mistakes to avoid: Fall prey to any one of these common IT blunders and watch your company's prospects suffer -- not to mention your own.
This story, "Crazy but true tech support stories," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the crazy goings-on of the tech industry in Robert X. Cringely's Notes from the Field blog and the anonymous Off the Record blog at InfoWorld.com.