How Google's tablet 'Honeycomb' and smartphone 'Gingerbread' OSes fare in the battle with iOS 5 on the iPad and iPhone
The overall winner is ...
There's no question which is the better mobile OS: iOS 5 beats both Android "Honeycomb" and "Gingerbread" in almost every category. iOS 5 has significantly widened the lead in several areas, including applications, Web and Internet, and user interface.
Nevertheless, Android "Honeycomb" offers a strong core platform that's good enough for most users. Its decent security capabilities also give it a meaningful shot in many businesses. It's clear that Google has given the smartphone version of Android the short end of the stick in the last year, as it has focused on the tablet version. "Gingerbread" is essentially the same as the year-old "Froyo," an OS that is not in tune with the market needs or competition.
With Google unifying the tablet and smartphone versions of Android later this year, it has a chance to rectify that neglect -- and perhaps give iOS 5 a new run for its money.
- InfoWorld's library of tablet comparisons and user-configurable comparison tools
- InfoWorld's library of smartphone comparisons and user-configurable comparison tool
- Feature-by-feature comparison: "Mobile deathmatch: Apple iOS 4 vs. Android 2.2, side by side"
- InfoWorld how-to: "Mobile Management Deep Dive" PDF special report
- Slideshow: iOS 5 and iCloud: The InfoWorld visual tour
- Test Center picks: The best iPad office apps and the best iPad specialty apps
- Test Center picks: The best iPhone office apps and the best iPhone specialty apps
- Test Center picks: The best Android office apps and the best Android specialty apps
This article, "Mobile deathmatch: Apple iOS 5 vs. Google Android OS," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in mobile computing, read Galen Gruman's Mobile Edge blog at InfoWorld.com, follow Galen's mobile musings on Twitter, and follow InfoWorld on Twitter.
This weekend's Windows 10 upgrade has users angry, and it's unclear if the ploy will continue
Here’s the best of the best for Windows 10. Sometimes good things come in free packages
Speaking at the O'Reilly Fluent conference, Eich also endorsed the Service Workers mobile app...
Four rich, pretrained machine learning APIs bring the smarts behind Google to your apps
For organizations considering cloud migration, here are nine proactive steps that companies can take to...
The July 29 deadline looms. Here's what you need to know to reserve your free upgrade, even if you're...
The newest version of OpenBSD closes potential security loopholes -- such as its Linux compatibility...