The overall winner is ...
There's no question which is the better mobile OS: iOS 5 beats both Android "Honeycomb" and "Gingerbread" in almost every category. iOS 5 has significantly widened the lead in several areas, including applications, Web and Internet, and user interface.
Nevertheless, Android "Honeycomb" offers a strong core platform that's good enough for most users. Its decent security capabilities also give it a meaningful shot in many businesses. It's clear that Google has given the smartphone version of Android the short end of the stick in the last year, as it has focused on the tablet version. "Gingerbread" is essentially the same as the year-old "Froyo," an OS that is not in tune with the market needs or competition.
With Google unifying the tablet and smartphone versions of Android later this year, it has a chance to rectify that neglect -- and perhaps give iOS 5 a new run for its money.
- InfoWorld's library of tablet comparisons and user-configurable comparison tools
- InfoWorld's library of smartphone comparisons and user-configurable comparison tool
- Feature-by-feature comparison: "Mobile deathmatch: Apple iOS 4 vs. Android 2.2, side by side"
- InfoWorld how-to: "Mobile Management Deep Dive" PDF special report
- Slideshow: iOS 5 and iCloud: The InfoWorld visual tour
- Test Center picks: The best iPad office apps and the best iPad specialty apps
- Test Center picks: The best iPhone office apps and the best iPhone specialty apps
- Test Center picks: The best Android office apps and the best Android specialty apps
This article, "Mobile deathmatch: Apple iOS 5 vs. Google Android OS," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in mobile computing, read Galen Gruman's Mobile Edge blog at InfoWorld.com, follow Galen's mobile musings on Twitter, and follow InfoWorld on Twitter.
Having trouble installing and setting up Win10? You aren’t alone. Here are many of the most common...
It's all about knowing how to build an open source community -- plus experience running applications in...
Win7 Update scans got you fuming? Here’s how to make the most of Microsoft’s 'magic' speed-up patch
The proliferation of insecure devices in every facet of our lives will have consequences far beyond the...
From a simple platform for beginners to an expert-level development workbench, there's an IDE for most...
You don't need to buy a new phone to add hours to your battery. All you need is to flip a few switches...
Look to these clever open source tools to keep secrets out of source code, identify malicious files,...