The mobile printing options range from suitable just for home and small offices to a server product for a company of any size:
- High end: EFI's PrintMe Mobile, software you run on a Windows machine on your backbone network or on multiple segments to AirPrint-enable most network printers in use today. It's the only product that supports printing from Android as well as from iOS. (Jump to the EFI PrintMe Mobile review.)
- Small to medium: Lantronix's $150 xPrintServer Network Edition, a print server appliance you plug into a network segment to add AirPrint support to most network printers in use today. It handles an unlimited number of printers on its network segment, but performance can degrade after a dozen. (Jump to the Lantronix xPrintServer review.)
- Small: Lantronix's $100 xPrintServer Home Edition, a version of its print server appliance that adds a USB port to support as many as eight USB printers (if you use a USB hub to connect them) in addition to as many as two network printers. (Jump to the Lantronix xPrintServer review.)
- Small: Netgear's WNDR and R series of wireless routers ($125 to $200), which include the Genie application for Macs and PCs that turns them into AirPrint print servers for any printers attached (via the network or USB cable) to the computers running Genie. If a computer is off or Genie is not running on it, its printers are not available via AirPrint. (Jump to the Netgear Genie review.)
- Personal: Collobos's $20 FingerPrint application for OS X and Windows, or Ecamm Networks' $20 Printopia software for Macs only. Like Netgear's Genie, both turn your computer into an AirPrint server, making any printer attached to it (via the network or USB cable) available via AirPrint. Again, that means your computer has to be on and the application has to be running. (Jump to the FingerPrint review and Printopia review.)
And for tips on printing from iOS and Android apps -- it's not always so easy -- check out our Lab Notes report.
You may still be better off sticking with Win7 or Win8.1, given the wide range of ongoing Win10...
Now that we're down to the wire, many upgraders report that the installer hangs. If this happens to...
Microsoft and Intel are in a standoff when it comes to Bluetooth bugs in the Windows Update speed-up...
Sensing a possible stall in your coding career? Here’s how to break free and tap your true potential
Our modern world of containers and microservices presents new challenges that open new vulnerabilities...
These cloud jobs are in highest demand, pay the most, and provide great job security
IT likes to fret about smartphones and tablets, but more established technologies—even paper...