"We frequently get weird writing projects, but the weirdest had to be when we were asked to create an entire website about vaginal discharge monitors," she says. "Pregnant women wear them to tell if they're leaking amniotic fluid. On the surface, it may seem as though we were just writing about different types of hoo-ha leakage, but what we were really doing was saving lives. I mean, somebody has to do it."
That dirty job fell to one of her male staffers, a 26-year-old copywriter named Ben DeMeter. But DePhillips' copy-producing career never seems to stray too far from that, umm, area. For example, DePhillips says her first writing gig after college was blogging about adult videos for a well-known men's site while pretending to be a man.
Even after she started her own company, she was hired by a mom-and-pop shop that made large-format stick-on decals. That shop had an order from a fetish site that specialized in female body builders who were extremely well developed in a region of the anatomy not usually on display to the general public. She found herself writing about wall-size images of, well, you get the picture.
"It was like they were injecting steriods directly into their lady bits," she said. "I was happy when that project was over."
The dirtiest part of her job? Avoiding lawsuits.
"Recently a writer we hired posted this photo of downtown Omaha to a blog he was ghostwriting," she says. "It turns out that image was copyrighted. We ended up getting sued $9,000 for this crappy photo of Nebraska. That was a big wake-up call for us. Since then we've strengthened our contracts with writers and double-check every image. And we carry cyber liability insurance in the unlikely case that happens again."
- Read the Off the Record blog for stories from IT pros -- and share your own tech tale
- Dirty IT jobs: Partners in slime
- The dirt locker: Dirty duty on the front lines of IT
- Even dirtier IT jobs: The muck stops here
- The 7 dirtiest jobs in IT
- Stupid user tricks 6: IT idiocy loves company
- Stupid user tricks 5: IT's weakest link
- Stupid tech support tricks: IT calls of shame
- Stupid hacker tricks: Exploits gone bad
- Jackass IT: Stunts, idiocy, and hero hacks
- IT personality types: 8 profiles in geekdom
- 2011 geek IQ test
- "Hello, world": Programming languages quiz
- Programming IQ test: Round 2
- Linux admin IQ test