Evernote hit by denial-of-service attack

The attack temporarily shut down Evernote, which now has over 100 million users

Evernote was resuming operations early Wednesday following a denial-of-service attack. The archiving software and services company said its online services had been unavailable and that users may experience problems accessing their accounts.

"We're actively working to neutralize a denial-of-service attack," the company wrote on Twitter early Wednesday.

[ Get the skinny on the state of the cloud with InfoWorld's "Cloud Computing Deep Dive" special report. Download it today! | Cut to the key news for technology development and IT management with the InfoWorld Daily newsletter, our summary of the top tech happenings. ]

DOS attacks bombard a server with traffic, which can slow it down or cause it go offline altogether.

Launched in 2008, Evernote has grown to over 100 million users, a milestone it announced last month. The incident marked the first successful DOS attack on the company in years.

"We're continuing work to mitigate the attack and service has been available again since about 6:15 p.m. PT," Ronda Scott, a spokeswoman for Evernote, wrote in an email. "We expect that there may be a hiccup here and there in the coming hours, but Evernote is now accessible." 

The identity of the hackers is unknown, Scott said, adding that their attack efforts are continuing but the effects have been mitigated.

Join the discussion
Be the first to comment on this article. Our Commenting Policies