I tested this application by administering various databases on both a single domain, and multiple-domain environment. I used the database map facility to map databases varying in size from 20MB to several hundred gigabytes. I installed Quest Central on both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.
When testing functionality, I mapped database fragmentation in many conditions: on local servers, on the same network segment, and across dedicated VPNs. After mapping the databases, I used Quest Central to generate the re-indexing script, and scheduled a job to run it.
I used Oracle 9i to test the SQL Lab because the SQL Server version of this application is new and doesn’t have this tool yet. However, for Oracle, I tested against ANSI standard SQL syntax using a variety of known bad SQL practices. I also used a variety of views, sub-queries, system functions, user-defined functions, data types, and temp tables.
I used the database analysis portion against both Oracle and SQL Server by creating user loads against the database that caused certain behavior, and scheduled snapshots. I then used Benchmark Factory to generate different user loads across a network, and then created an analysis chart to help trend the performance for a period of time.
I tested the SQL Editor by creating a number of views, tuning queries, running database maintenance, and writing and altering stored procedures and functions.